Despite the recession, HiberniaEvros has seen growth in most areas of their business, and as a result were looking to expand the HiberniaEvros sales team. Together with the People Group, HiberniaEvros started to work on the job description and developed a strategy for the hiring process. John Kennedy, Sales & Marketing Director in HiberniaEvros, was not interested in just posting the job add in newspapers or recruitment sites. It has to be a new and fresh approach. After many long days and evenings, John finally emerged with the marketing campaign for this activity.
John decided to create an apprentice like process, where candidates could apply for the position, and a short list was select to participate in the apprentice show.
Next challenge was to determine who to partner with, to complete the hiring process.
HiberniaEvros and The People Group approached the The John Murray Show on RTÉ Radio 1 to recruit two new salespeople.
“Good sales skills are good sales skills regardless of industry, which is why we are keen to speak to candidates from all industries. Once someone has the key sales skills, we can teach them the specific knowledge they need in the IT industry. We are excited about working with John Murray and the team as this will help us reach people who may not have previously considered a career in IT” – John Kennedy, HiberniaEvros
Essential Skills Required
- Relationship Building – proven ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen key partnerships with clients and colleagues alike
- Ambitious Person with Emphasis on Continuous Learning – constantly striving and aspiring to achieve success and professional goals through continuous learning
- Entrepreneurial Orientation & Initiative – the ability to think outside the box, plan in advance and recognise opportunities, with a proven ability to work on own initiative
- Result & Target Orientated – ability to achieve & exceed targets in high pressure environment
- Flexible Team Player – the ability to adapt to a challenging and changing business environment, while working efficiently and effectively within a team
- Communication Skills & Attention to Detail – excellent communications skills both oral & written
- Prospecting – Confidence to prospect for business on a daily basis. Continuously looking to find new business opportunities.
Candidate should hold a valid full Irish driving licence and be eligible to work in Ireland. A full and comprehensive training plan will be provided to the successful candidates along with continuous coaching and individual development. Salary: €30,000 + commission + Car Allowance + comprehensive range of company benefits.
From start to finish, it took more than a month. It started with hundreds of application forms to be reviewed and suitable candidates to be selected for the final week of the journey. Each week, “The John Murray Show” provided the listeners with regular updates, which culminated in live interviews on the “The John Murray Show“.
The final four candidates were chosen by John Kennedy and Colm Buckley, and John Murray was the host of the process.
To give the candidates the best possible chance, Sonya Lennon from RTE’s ‘Off the Rails‘ provided advice to the candidates. This included which dress to wear for the interviews and how to make an entrance. She went on to instruct the candidates how to behave and what body language and eye contact means during an interview. These two tools are the primary communication tools.
On Friday the 1 October, John Murray was joined by the four candidates and John Kennedy. The process was finally coming to an end and all the candidates were nervous and anxious to get the news; good or bad. John Kennedy revealed who the successful candidates live on-air.
Listen here, to hear some of the weekly updates from The John Murray Show.